Thursday 19 February 2009

Trade mark absolutism

I once suggested to my friend Paul Jones in Toronto that we start a network of "Jones" law firms. He pointed out that one obvious candidate would be Jones Day. At the time, I was dimly aware of that firm's litigation against a real estate website which had a link to (inter alia) the profile of one of Jones Day's attorneys, on the firm's own website. Nothing unusual there, one might think, but today I read here that the defendant has caved in and agreed in future to make the links in the manner stipulated by the law firm.

Jones Day, I'm not surprised to see, is getting a lot of stick for this particular piece of absolutism. The expression "studpidest law suit ever" seems to be achieving some currency in this connection, although I reckon there is some fairly hot competition.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online